Skip to main content

Tips for writing love letters to Yourself

Here's a great guide for writing a love letter to yourself from Christipher Germer, PhD.of Mindful Self Compassion. I found this in the Resources section, there are other handouts that you can look at too.  But for now I'm posting this one.

COMPASSIONATE LETTER TO MYSELF

Everybody has something about themselves they don’t like; something that causes them to feel 
shame, insecure, or not “good enough.” Please think of an  issue you have that tends to make you 
feel bad about yourself (a mistake you made, your appearance, relationship issues, etc.) 

Now think about an imaginary friend who is unconditionally wise, loving and compassionate. 
Imagine that this friend can see all your strengths and weaknesses, including what you don’t like 
about yourself. This friend recognizes the limits of human nature, and is kind, accepting, and 
forgiving. 

Write a letter to yourself from the perspective of this imaginary friend, focusing on the perceived 
inadequacy you tend to judge yourself for. What would this friend say to you from the perspective 
of unlimited compassion? And if you think this friend would suggest possible changes you should 
make, how might these suggestions embody feelings of care, encouragement, and support? 

After writing the letter, put it down for a little while. Then come back to it and read it again, really
letting the words sink in. Feel the compassion as it pours into you, soothing and comforting you. 
Love, connection and acceptance are your birthright. To claim them you need only look within 
yourself.

If you prefer, you can also:

Write a letter as if you were talking to a dearly loved friend who was struggling with the same 
concern that you are. What words of compassion and support would you offer? Then go back and 
read the letter, applying the words to yourself.


Write to yourself from the perspective of a friend who cares deeply about you, savor the feeling, 
put the letter down, and then read it to yourself later on.

Hope you will take this to heart and write a beautiful love letter to yourself. 
Have a wonderful day and make sure to love yourself in a deep and 
unconditional way.

Peace. Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit of Ugly

Funny thing Synchronicity! I wonder about it all the time, my life is so full of little synchronicties. For instance; I've been doing an online workshop, Vision Journaling, with True North Arts led by Kathryn Antyr the Collage Diva. There have been many synchronistic miracles for me since delving into that workshop on envisioning your dreams. Here's just one. It's week five and Kathryn sent us the Wayne Dyer's, Excuses Begone affirmations from his site. She put them on ATC sized cards and posted them on the workshop website. So, I accidentally came across that deck of cards that I have been working on. I only saved the unattractive little things because somewhere along my rambling travels on the Internet, I found a lady talking about how you should make something ugly everyday. So, anyway as I worked with these cards trying new techniques and working with new materials I managed to make lots of ugly things. I would love to give that lady credit because as I ma

My Dad

My Dad, Iopu Taesali · October 26, 1926- 2001 'Ua alu atu le afi - passing the fire. A Samoan chant for important social events. My Dad was born in Pago Pago, American Samoa, the youngest of fourteen children. I once asked my Dad many years later why he would leave paradise and he said; "Daughter, what can you know about the world from an Island only 7 miles wide and 14 miles long?" He used to go back and forth from here to the island. I later found that he had become disillusioned with Samoa. He believed the American dollar had destroyed his island and after awhile he had no desire to go back home again. But how did he get to America? My father was a brand new immigrant from Samoa, just 18 years old when he got to America. The story goes that in 1945 he stowed away on a cargo ship from Pago Pago harbour, the heart of American Samoa, with 8 others boys. When they finally got caught on board ship it was too late to turn back so they were all put into the bri

New Beginings

Day One Hi folks! I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. But as fearful as I am at this moment I still want to have community more. I think this is the way to go, the fourth screen so to speak. I have so much to learn. I just hope the learning curve is not to steep and wild for this old gal!