Skip to main content

Reality Derailed

You can tell I love Leo Babauta! Can’t help it. He speaks to me.  Like all the times I’ve been derailed by choice or by forces beyond my control. It happens! It happens a lot.  Sometimes it’s hard to be really realistic with yourself. I needed to hear this today. 
How to Stop Your Habit Changes From Getting Derailed 
By Leo Babauta
Many times when we try to make a good change in our lives, it gets derailed early on by something out of our control.
Let’s say you start a diet, and your daughter makes some great vegan cupcakes and you want to support her efforts, and so you eat some … and this exception causes you to say, “screw it” and you eat some other unhealthy foods later in the day, and then the next day.
Or you’re trying to think positively, and so you go out of your way to be nice to someone with whom you’re not on good terms … and they snub you, causing you to go down a spiral of negative thoughts.
How do you stop the negative spiral? How do you stop the slippery slope?
By having a more flexible idea of what your habit change is.
The problem is that we often have an ideal habit change: we’re going to start this new diet and be perfect at it and all will go well and we’ll be healthy and trim and sexy.
And of course the actual path is much more bumpy than that, and so this ideal expectation is never met. Changes never go the way we think they will. Our fantasies about our new habits don’t come true. And we feel horrible about that, and get derailed.
The problem isn’t the event that derailed us, that caused our perfect habit to go bad … the problem is our ideal about how the change will go. The ideal is just a fantasy, made up in our heads. It’s not real. It’s not realistic.
What’s more realistic? Reality. Instead of holding onto the fantasy you have about the change, let that go and embrace the reality of the change. Be open to whatever happens, be curious what it’s like, and actually be present and observe the change as it happens.
Did someone not respond positively like you’d hoped they would? That’s OK, because while the ideal didn’t happen, you knew that things would turn out differently than the ideal, and so instead of being disappointed you’re curious about what happened, why, how you react, and how you can respond appropriately to this change in plans.
Letting go of the ideal, you smile, observe yourself, and think, “What now? What’s the way to respond appropriately to this new situation?”
You’re flexible. You embrace the reality. You move through the ever-changing landscape with a shifting plan, and a smile.

Hope you got something great from this little article, I did.
Peace. Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bit of Ugly

Funny thing Synchronicity! I wonder about it all the time, my life is so full of little synchronicties. For instance; I've been doing an online workshop, Vision Journaling, with True North Arts led by Kathryn Antyr the Collage Diva. There have been many synchronistic miracles for me since delving into that workshop on envisioning your dreams. Here's just one. It's week five and Kathryn sent us the Wayne Dyer's, Excuses Begone affirmations from his site. She put them on ATC sized cards and posted them on the workshop website. So, I accidentally came across that deck of cards that I have been working on. I only saved the unattractive little things because somewhere along my rambling travels on the Internet, I found a lady talking about how you should make something ugly everyday. So, anyway as I worked with these cards trying new techniques and working with new materials I managed to make lots of ugly things. I would love to give that lady credit because as I ma

My Dad

My Dad, Iopu Taesali · October 26, 1926- 2001 'Ua alu atu le afi - passing the fire. A Samoan chant for important social events. My Dad was born in Pago Pago, American Samoa, the youngest of fourteen children. I once asked my Dad many years later why he would leave paradise and he said; "Daughter, what can you know about the world from an Island only 7 miles wide and 14 miles long?" He used to go back and forth from here to the island. I later found that he had become disillusioned with Samoa. He believed the American dollar had destroyed his island and after awhile he had no desire to go back home again. But how did he get to America? My father was a brand new immigrant from Samoa, just 18 years old when he got to America. The story goes that in 1945 he stowed away on a cargo ship from Pago Pago harbour, the heart of American Samoa, with 8 others boys. When they finally got caught on board ship it was too late to turn back so they were all put into the bri
There is most certainly a huge learning curve for learning how to navigate Etsy, at least for me!!!  I just spent three hours filling out the information for one listing, uploading the photos (which took at least an hour) and uploading a video (because "It's good for sales"!) and unfortunately none of it ended up on my shop! These little gems are created with upcycled treasure such as maps, sheet music, mono prints and other exotic papers that have been altered utilizing treatments and techniques using acrylic mediums and other art supplies to give the cards the depth of color, sheen and textures that add up to the artwork. Each Girlfriend Card is a unique piece of handmade original art created by me. The quotes used are heartfelt and positive affirmations to send to your BFF to uplift and honor. The cards evoke a powerful message and shine with your encouragement and love. These cards are suitable for framing, so the message can be reaffirmed daily. Enjoy! So out of fr